As pet owners, we love our furry friends and want to keep them safe and healthy at all times. Unfortunately, many common household items that we use every day can be poisonous to our pets. March is Pet Poison Prevention Month, a time to educate ourselves about potential pet toxins and learn how to prevent accidental poisonings. In this blog, we’ll discuss some common household items that are poisonous to pets and what to do if you suspect your pet may have ingested poison.
Many human foods are toxic to pets. Chocolate, caffeine, alcohol, grapes, raisins, onions, garlic, and avocado are just a few examples. Keep human food out of reach of pets and dispose of leftovers properly.
Prescription and over-the-counter medications can be dangerous to pets, even in small doses. Pain relievers, such as aspirin and ibuprofen, are particularly hazardous. Keep all medications locked away and out of reach of pets.
Many cleaning products contain chemicals that can be harmful to pets. Keep all cleaning products securely stored and use pet-safe cleaning products whenever possible.
Many indoor and outdoor plants can be toxic to pets, including lilies, tulips, daffodils, and azaleas. Research the plants in your home and yard to make sure they are safe for pets.
Antifreeze, pesticides, and fertilizers are just a few examples of household chemicals that can be toxic to pets. Keep these items locked away and follow all instructions carefully.
If you suspect your pet has ingested a poisonous substance, it’s important to act quickly. Contact your veterinarian or an animal poison control center immediately. Symptoms of poisoning may include vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, difficulty breathing, seizures, and loss of consciousness. If possible, bring the product container or label with you to your veterinarian to help with diagnosis and treatment.
At Olive Branch Pet Hospital, we offer comprehensive veterinary care for pets. In case of emergency, we have resources to provide life-saving care to your furry friend. We have a highly trained and experienced team of veterinarians, nurses, and technicians who are dedicated to providing the best possible care to your pet.
If you suspect your pet has ingested a poisonous substance, or you have questions about caring for your pet, contact us today or click here to schedule an appointment!